Monday 16 April 2012

Cloth and memory: First ideas

I’ve been working on ideas for my installation for the Cloth and memory exhibition being held at Salts Mill, Saltaire, Bradford, in July and August (see my previous post on my first impressions). I’ve decided to work with the idea of the room containing six ‘windows’. The six window-like spaces are all in a graduated and different state of repair and the room feels quite enclosed so I will use that to work on ideas of claustrophobia and containment.

Using my idea of the net curtain being the liminal boundary between the inside and the outside of the home I’ve decided that I’ll have a full net curtain at the first window, then the amount of curtain will gradually decrease as the viewer moves around the room until the final window is completely bricked up. This will give the impression that the room is gradually petrifying and entombing the inhabitant and the net curtain will act as a metaphor for the idea of the home as both sanctuary and prison.

No comments: