Thursday 21 June 2012

Cloth and memory: Marking time


I have been so busy adding pins and needles to my curtains for the Salts Mill exhibition that I haven’t had time to blog or do much else. It took me 8 hours to add all the pins to the first curtain and although I’ve speeded up since then it still takes well over 7 hours to complete each one. It certainly represents marking time and embodies the relentlessness and tedium of such a repetitive task. As well as pinning the curtains I’ve been writing my statement for the catalogue, choosing images and writing captions as well as various admin tasks like working out insurance values and organising all the fixtures and fittings I’ll need to hang everything. The exhibition opens on 14 July and we are hanging during the previous week so not long to go now.

No comments: