Thursday 2 May 2013

Beauty is the first test: the film




The five craftspeople chosen to be case studies for the exhibition ‘Beauty is the first test’ have all been filmed in their studios by the video company Electric Egg. It was my turn on Monday, and Steve and Neil from Electric Egg and Liz Cooper the curator of the exhibition came to my studio for the day. I was interviewed and then filmed making lace, designing a lace pattern, winding bobbins and pricking a pattern. They were very easy to work with and put me completely at ease so it was easy to discuss my work with them. They also made a short video for me to link to one of my lace curtain pieces which was a bonus. Once they have filmed and interviewed all the case studies (Carol Quarini, Gail Baxter, David Gates, Stella Harding, and Margo Selby) they will produce an impressionistic video of the combined responses rather than straightforward documentaries of each of us. The film will then be shown with the exhibition, first at NCCD Sleaford and then at the subsequent venues (Bilston Craft Gallery, Wolverhampton, and Platform Gallery, Clitheroe). I’m looking forward to seeing the finished product.

No comments: